Non-Commercial Software License Agreement
YOU HEREBY REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE THE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO BIND THE ORGANIZATION NAMED IN this agreement record, IF ANY, AND IF SUCH AN ORGANIZATION IS NAMED, SUCH ORGANIZATION SHALL BE DEEMED TO BE “YOU” FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF NO SUCH ORGANIZATION IS NAMED, THEN “YOU” SHALL REFER TO YOU INDIVIDUALLY.
LICENSEE - ORGANIZATION
LICENSEE - FIRST NAME LICENSEE - LAST NAME
LICENSEE - TITLE
LICENSEE ADDRESS - STREET
LICENSEE ADDRESS - STREET (LINE TWO)
LICENSEE ADDRESS - CITY, LICENSEE ADDRESS - STATE, LICENSEE ADDRESS - COUNTRY LICENSEE ADDRESS - ZIP CODE
This Non-Commercial Software License Agreement (the “Agreement”) is between The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York, a non-profit private educational institution, having a principal place of business at 116th St. and Broadway, New York, New York 10027, U.S.A. (“Columbia”) and You (as defined above).
1. License Grant. Columbia grants
You a non-exclusive and non-transferable license to install, display, and use one (1) copy of the Program for internal, non-commercial, academic and
research purposes. You shall not use the Program in a production environment or
to process actual business data, or for any other commercial purpose. Columbia
reserves the right to make corrections, improvements or enhancements to the
Program without notice to You and without obligation to furnish the said
corrections, improvements or enhancements to You.
2. Restrictions. You will not (i) reproduce or copy the Program, except that You may make one (1) copy of the Program solely for archival purposes, provided that You agree to reproduce all copyright and other proprietary right notices on the archival copy; (ii) use, or cause or permit the use of, the Program in whole or in part for any purpose other than as permitted under this Agreement; (iii) distribute, sell, lease, sublicense or otherwise transfer rights to the Program to any third party; (iv) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for the Program (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction); (v) modify or create any derivative works of the Program, including translation or localization; or (vi) remove or alter any patent, trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Program. Prior to any commercial use, lease, distribution, transfer, sublicense or sale of any product utilizing, derived from, or incorporating, in whole or any part, the Program, You must obtain a license permitting commercial use of the Program from Columbia, which Columbia may grant to You in its sole discretion.
Any such use, lease, distribution, transfer, sublicense or sale without a written license from Columbia permitting such commercial use, distribution, sublicense or sale shall be VOID AND EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.
To negotiate such license agreement, contact:
Columbia Technology Ventures
80 Claremont Avenue #4F
New York, NY 10027
3. Term and Termination. The term of this Agreement shall continue until terminated in accordance with this Section 3. You may terminate this Agreement at any time by destroying all copies of the Program.
This Agreement, and the rights granted hereunder, will terminate automatically, and without any further notice from or action by Columbia, if You fail to comply with any obligation set forth herein. Upon termination, You must immediately cease use and destroy all copies of the Program and verify such destruction in writing. Columbia shall have the right to disable electronically Your unauthorized use of the Program and resort to other “self help” measures Columbia deems appropriate. Sections 2 through 9 and 11 through 13 shall survive expiration or termination of this Agreement.
4. No Obligation to Support. It is understood and agreed that Columbia will provide no maintenance or installation services of any kind, error corrections, bug fixes, patches, updates or other modifications hereunder. In the event that Columbia, at its sole option, provides updates, error corrections, bug fixes, patches or other modifications to the Program to You (“Program Updates”), the Program updates will be considered part of the Program, and subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement.
5. Proprietary rights. Title to the Program, and patents, copyrights, trademarks and all other intellectual property rights applicable thereto, shall at all times remain solely and exclusively with Columbia and its suppliers, and You shall not take any action inconsistent with such ownership. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to Columbia and its suppliers. You will not use or display any trademark, trade name, insignia, or symbols of Columbia, its faculties or departments, or any variation or combination thereof, or the name of any trustee, faculty member, other employee, or student of Columbia, for any purpose whatsoever without Columbia’s prior written consent.
6. NO WARRANTY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, COLUMBIA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND ONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, FITNESS, ADEQUACY OR SUITABILITY FOR A ARTICULAR PURPOSE, USE OR RESULT, OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE, AND ANY WARRANTIES OF FREEDOM FROM INFRINGEMENT OF ANY DOMESTIC OR FOREIGN PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, TRADE SECRETS OR OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHTS OF ANY PARTY. COLUMBIA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN THE PROGRAM WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR WILL OPERATE IN COMBINATIONS OR IN A MANNER SELECTED FOR USE BY YOU, OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE LICENSED SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE.
7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL COLUMBIA BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM LOSS OF DATA, LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF USE OF EQUIPMENT OR LOST CONTRACTS OR FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY OR ONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES IN ANY WAY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT, HOWEVER CAUSED, EVEN IF COLUMBIA HAS BEEN MADE AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. COLUMBIA’S ENTIRE LIABILITY TO YOU, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ANY CLAIM OR ACTION OR THEORY OF LIABILITY (INCLUDING CONTRACT, TORT, OR WARRANTY), SHALL NOT EXCEED IN THE AGGREGATE THE SUM OF TEN U.S. DOLLARS ($10.00).
8. Exports. You agree to comply with all applicable export laws and regulations of all jurisdictions with respect to the Program and obtain, at your own expense, any required permits or export clearances, copies of which you shall provide to Columbia prior to such export.
9. U.S. Government Agencies. If You are an agency of the United States Government, the Program constitutes “commercial computer software” or “commercial computer software documentation.” Absent a written agreement to the contrary, the Government’s rights with respect to the Program are limited by the terms of this Agreement, pursuant to FAR 12.212(a) and/or DFARS 227.7202-4, as applicable.
10. Assignment. Neither this Agreement nor any rights, obligations or licenses granted hereunder may be assigned or delegated by You without the prior written consent of Columbia. This Agreement shall inure to the benefit of the parties and their permitted successors and assigns.
11. Governing Law; Jurisdiction and Venue. This Agreement shall be governed by New York law applicable to agreements made and to be fully performed in New York, without reference to the conflict of laws principles of any jurisdiction. The parties agree that any and all claims arising under this Agreement or relating thereto shall be heard and determined either in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York or in the Courts of the State of New York located in the City and County of New York, and the parties agree to submit themselves to the personal jurisdiction of those Courts and to waive any objections as to the convenience of the forum.
12. Severability. If any provision of this Agreement shall be held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
- (a) This Agreement and its exhibits contain the entire
understanding and agreement between the parties respecting the subject matter
- (b) This Agreement may not be supplemented, modified, amended, released
or discharged except by an instrument in writing signed by each party’s duly
- (c) All captions and headings in this Agreement are
for purposes of convenience only and shall not affect the construction or
interpretation of any of its provisions.
- (d) Any waiver by either party of any default or breach hereunder shall not constitute a waiver of any provision of this Agreement or of any subsequent default or breach of the same or a different kind.
- (e) This Agreement shall be binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.